Friday 18 April 2014

Good Friday

Today has been a Good Friday (really).
Got to stay home and "play".  Did some quilting and of course my son and I made Babka.  
There are several ways to make this dependent on how you grew up with it, and this is the way I know and love it (yes, it should be in a round pan, but I did not have enough round pans for the amount of dough I made).  
I had to cut into it just to make sure it was delicious, and with a bit of butter it certainly was:
Easter  Babka:
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups milk
1 cup butter 
- heat in microwave until butter has melted into water and milk
- add to mixing bowl with 1 cup of flour and beat until side of bowl is warm to touch (no longer hot)
- add:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp yeast
1 cup flour
- continue to mix and add in:
3 eggs
2 cups raisins
1 tsp tumeric
- continue to mix adding in another 6 + cups flour until dough is not sticking to side of bowl
-turn out on counter and knead until dough "squeaks"
- put to rest for about 45 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.

My son always takes these special holiday doughs to his bed and covers the bowl with quilts and reads to the bread while it rises ; )

Shape into loaves, let rise again, and bake at 350 F for about 35 minutes.

Enjoy...
Hope this inspires your own creativity...

Kathy

Out of respect for today I am attaching a link to one of my favorite singer's tributes to today:


1 comment: