Monday 6 June 2016

What's For Dinner?

Good Evening Internet Friends!

Yesterday evening when we got back from the farm I wanted to make rhubarb sour cream muffins.  That of course meant going to the freezer to get some sour cream.  While I was looking for the sour cream I found cottage cheese.  Now, as you may already know I am what is fondly referred to as Saskatchewan Ukrainian cheap so when I shop at Costco weekly for groceries and see either of these products on sale I purchase them and put them in the freezer.  The cottage cheese is fine because I use it for cooking purpose.  The sour cream does have to be completely defrosted and then I use a wire whisk to bring it back to consistency.

When I found the cottage cheese I decided that I would make Syrniki for dinner this evening.  
Delicious!

So here is how I make these treats:

2 cups cottage cheese
4 eggs
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vinegar
- Mix all of these ingredients together and then add:

2 heaping tablespoons of ground flax seed
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat or multi grain flour

I add all of the flour at once to make a stiffer dough:

By having a stiffer dough I can use an ice cream scoop to "plop" these into the frying pan.

Heat frying pan with canola oil (I use Co-op brand).

Using an ice cream scoop I portion out batches of the dough to fry.

I let these sear for about 15 seconds just until the base is set so that I can flip them over with the pancake flipper and press flat to about 1/2".  Then I let the base fry til golden brown and flip back to the first side.  The reason I do it this way is I find it too tedious to pat into patties with the flour. ☺

There you have it!

After dinner a quick walk and get ready for bed for kiddo.

I did actually take a bit of time to go to my craft room and make:

A Skateboarding pillow case for my son!  I think he will like it!

Hope this inspires your own creativity...

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment