Friday 4 January 2013

Steel Cut Oats Microwave Style

Almost every morning, I make Steel Cut Oats for my son and I for breakfast.  Since I know you can make instant oatmeal in the microwave I thought there was no reason why I could not made Steel Cut Oats in the microwave.  This brings me to the point of this blog post, most people cannot believe I do this!
 
To be able to cook it long enough in the microwave, you need a really good microwave dish, which until recently has been a Corning Ware Baker, but sometimes, it boiled over : (
 
Back in November my friend and I attended the SCARS (Second Chance Animal Rescue Society) Christmas Bizarre for fundraising for this cause.  She and her family adopted a puppy from last years event, and I of course have the garbage dump rescue cat for my son.  While we were there I met Andreea who is a Pampered Chef Consultant.  She had on display the Small Batter Bowl!  It is 4 cups/1000 mls, glass and perfect for the microwave.  
 
Today I used it for the first time, and here is how I make my Steel Cut Oats in the microwave:
2 cups milk
2/3 cup Steel Cut Oats
- place in microwave safe bowl
- microwave for 6 - 8 minutes, (I like my oatmeal more soupy than chewy) -cook longer if you like sticky oatmeal
- stir every couple of minutes just to get all the bottom oatmeal cooked
- after cooking pour into glass dishes, wait a couple of minutes before serving

I always add a bit of brown sugar to mine, my son likes sprinkles or a few chocolate chips on his, sometimes a bit of cinnamon - let your imagination go!!!!
Enjoy!

Hope this inspires your own creativity...

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment