Monday 21 November 2011

Concept Homes STARS Lottery Home Christmas Tree


My dear friend Marion called me up the other day to ask if I would sew a tree skirt for the Concept Homes STARS Lottery Christmas Tree at the Sherwood Park Festival of Trees.  Of course I could not say "no" because this is my friend, secondly after all the years I worked at Stollery, I know, value and understand the importance of STARS and the VERY important work that they do.  So, it became an honor to be a part of this project.  You can read more about the effort involved in making this tree at Concept Homes, along with the notoriety that this tree placed 3rd in the competition (placing behind the green house, and the school division).  All of whom I am sure had more than a week to put this together.  The red portion of the tree skirt was pre-sewn, so all I had to do was applique on to a satin  polyester blend the letter H.  The letter H is present in all four compass points, and the whole Concept (bad pun) for the tree skirt is to resemble a helicopter landing pad at a hospital site.  The white underlay is added in to make the ring around the landing pad, and make the whole project look bigger.  The Helicopter ornaments were not made by myself as I was too busy with work and extra curricular activities so another of Marion's friends made them and I think she did a marvelous job!  They are so pretty.  The STARS helicopter at the top of the tree was wired so that the rotor would even spin.  Overall, I think it is a SUPERB tree, and the planning meeting for next years tree will be June 2012 (right.... Marion????)!!!  Hope this inspires your own creativity...

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment