Friday 25 November 2011

Ginger Cookies

I have heard about children who ask their moms for elaborate and extraordinary projects for school the night before they are due.  I always thought that this is what happened to people who "do not have it all together" as I do (HA!!).  While driving home from horse back riding tonight the voice from the back seat informs me that tomorrow is Christmas tree decorating day at school and that he is to bring in Christmas ornaments for the tree!!  Screeech (not quite the highway was icy)!!!  OMG.  So, I thought about this for the rest of the trip home.  Can't make glass ornaments (won't have time to paint and dry them and sleep tonight), so rationalized that 7 year old children would break them and therefore this would not be fair to the teacher.  Okay, then what is quick and easy?????  Well, my brain is odd, before I can complete something (even if it is due right now) I have to go through a sequence of things, so before one can make tree ornaments, or decorate the tree, gingersnaps or gingerbread men have to be present to complete this task.  So when we got home, I proceeded to make my favorite Ginger cookies.  The recipe is attached, and now I am off to make tree ornaments at 2200 hours on a school and work night.  I will post the results tomorrow.  Hope this inspires your own creativity...

Kathy

Ginger Cookies

3/4 cup butter (or non-hydrogenated margarine)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add molasses and egg and stir until well mixed.  Add in the remaining ingredients mixing only after all are added.  Roll into balls and roll in sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes (when tops begin to crack).  Let rest in pan 2 minutes as cookies will initially be very soft.    Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment