Sunday 18 December 2011

The Christmas Table

I have this "thing" whereby I believe that a home must have a wooden old fashioned styled table in the dining room, or the place is just not "home"  I have always had wooden tables in my own home, however a few years ago I found the perfect table.  It is oval with pull out leaves, and has the pedestal with big wooden feet from one end to the other, so no legs on the side.  I LOVE this table.  Now, because I am neurotic about how things look I do not want scratches or burn marks on my table. To prevent that from happening, I have a vinyl table cloth with flannel backing on the table (the table is rubbed down regularly with Scott's Liquid Gold), next the table cloth, and then a clear plastic tablecloth over top of it all.  Due to the last layer being plastic and my rule about a hot supper around the table each night, I have various quilted projects on the table at all times, to absorb spills, and absorb the warmth of plates and serving dishes on the table.  Last year I found these fabric panels (2 of each design) at Sew Divine and instead of just sewing them together, I quilted them so that they would have a layer of batting between the sides of fabric.  A quick stitch in the ditch method around the edges and pictures and they were done.  Took them out of the Christmas closet the other day, and they are ready for service again for another Christmas season.  Hope this inspires your own creativity...

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment