Tuesday 6 December 2011

Have a Very Minkee Christmas

Minkee is a product of which I am confused over.  I love the feel and the look of it, but due to my allergies I have to wear a mask when sewing with it to prevent getting the fibers in my airway and then the spray adhesive required to adhere it to the backing then requires me to wear one of those masks painters wear so as to not breathe in the fumes.  It is a very big process as is the clean up.  I have tried hanging it outside for the fibers to blow off - not good enough, tried putting it in the dryer to get all of the loose fibers off - not good enough.  For this quilt I tried both of these techniques (a little from column A, a little from column B).  To make these quilts I first determine how long I want them to be, and how many color stripes I want on the front.  Once the back is cut to length then I divide that measurement by the number of colors I want and use a 1/2" seam allow to determine the length of each stripe.  The width of course is the same as the back.  I usually use the bamboo blend batting inside as it has given me the fewest problems.  The first strip is sewn on facing up along each edge and then each additional strip is laid on top of the previous strip right sides together and sewn the entire width of the quilt.  Once sewn down, each stripe is then tacked down with spray adhesive and smoothed out for lumps and then the next strip goes on.  I suggest starting early in the day so that you get it completed as these quilts make a BIG mess.  Once done it is so cozy to snuggle with.  Again, it just feels all warm and cozy like Christmas when this is taken out of the box.  Hope this inspires your own creativity...

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment